Second Public Announcement of Environmental Impact Assessment of CSE Jetty Upgrade and Reconstruction Project
The preparation of the Environmental Impact Statement of the CSE Jetty Upgrade and Reconstruction Project is about to wrap up. And the environmental impact assessment, pollution prevention & control measures, and evaluation conclusions of the project are substantially completed. According to the Law of the People's Republic of China on Environmental Impact Assessment, Notice on the Issuance of the Temporary Measures for Public Participation in Environmental Impact Assessment (HF  No. 28) and the relevant provisions of the Implementation Opinions on Public Participation in Environmental Protection Management of Construction Projects in Guangdong Province (YH  No. 99), the second public announcement of the environmental impact statement is made, and the public announcement materials are provided as follows: ：
I. Below are the brief descriptions of the construction project. Project name: CSE Jetty Upgrade and Reconstruction Project. Project site: East Side of Chiwan Inner Harbor Basin, Chiwan 1st Road, Chiwan Port, Nanshan District, Shenzhen. Construction type: Reconstruction. Construction details: Providing reinforcement and reconstruction to the hydraulic surface layer and ancillary structures at CSE #1, #3, and #4 slipway and harbor berths of base E, F, and G, so that the jetty has the ability to berth the offshore oil HYSY229 flat barge under specific conditions (90,000 tons deadweight tonnage), and the length of the waterfront to be reconstructed is about 300.68m. The reconstruction mainly includes: Demolition of part of the original jetty structure, construction of a new pier, structural repair of the original jetty, replacement of some rubber fenders, repair of ancillary facilities, etc. The total investment of the project is RMB 13.48 million. The cargoes loaded at CSE jetty are mainly jacket platforms for offshore oil and gas development, special equipment for exploration, steel pipes, materials (including food, freshwater, etc.), and other supplies. All of these cargoes are in large complete sets and packaged as break-bulk cargoes. The cargoes in and out of the jetty remain unchanged after the completion of this reconstruction project. Land reclamation and harbor basin dredging are not scheduled for this project.
II. Overview of possible environmental impacts of the construction project:
(1) Analysis of impacts on the surrounding environment during the construction phase: ① The main impact factors of the planned construction on the ambient air are construction dust and exhaust emission from construction machinery. ② Construction wastewater mainly comes from the domestic sewage of construction ships and oil sewage from the bilge of ships, domestic sewage, and production wastewater generated from the construction onshore or within the jetty. ③ Sound environment impact factors mainly include construction machinery noise, noise generated during the demolition of the old jetty facilities, and traffic noise generated by transport vehicles. ④ Solid waste includes domestic wastes generated by construction personnel, construction wastes generated during the construction, such as demolition of the original jetty, as well as domestic wastes and wastes from construction vessels.
(2) Analysis of impacts on the surrounding environment during operation phase: ① Water environment contamination mainly comes from oily sewage from the engine room of the ship, domestic and office sewage from the onshore area, and domestic sewage from ships. ② Air pollution mainly comes from the exhaust gas emitted by ships and transportation vehicles berthing at the jetty. The main pollutants are SO2, NOx, CO, and TSP. ③ The main sources of noise pollution are: Mechanical noise from loading & unloading operations, traffic noise from transport vehicles, and ship whistles. ④ Solid wastes are mainly: Domestic wastes generated in the auxiliary production and living support area of the project, domestic wastes generated by ships, and ship maintenance wastes. ⑤ Environmental risk accidents mainly include: leakage incidents involving the leaking of engine room oily sewage, fuel, and oil products caused by collision, stranding, hitting, and other marine accidents under the influence of human and natural factors during the operation phase of the harbor project; oil spill pollution accidents caused by mishandling when ships are refueled at the jetty and anchorage waters; environmental risk accidents involving pollutants generated by ship collisions that may have an impact on the aquatic ecosystem.
(3) Analysis of impacts from other aspects: After the completion of the project, the changes in the seafloor topography and water depth in the nearby waters caused by the construction of the pile foundation of the jetty has, to a certain extent, changed the hydrodynamic conditions, topography and siltation environment in the nearby waters, which will have a certain impact on the tidal field, sediment and aquatic ecology in the surrounding areas.
III. Key construction phases for implementing measures to prevent or mitigate adverse environmental impacts:
(1) Water environmental protection measures during the construction phase: ① Measures to prevent the pollution of the waters by suspended matter: As a new jetty is required to be built for the project, the following specific measures should be taken to reduce the impact of suspended matter on the waters: A. The project is located in the waters of the Pearl River Estuary, the schedule of the construction of the pile foundations should be staggered to avoid the breeding season of the main economic fishes in the Pearl River Estuary, especially the breeding protection period of the fishes in the Pearl River Estuary (April 20 to July 20 of the lunar calendar) and the protection period of young fish and shrimp (March 1 to May 31), so as to minimize the impact and damage to rare and endangered aquatic animals, fishery resources and ecological environment in Pearl River Estuary. B. The pile foundation construction will increase the content of suspended matter in the nearby water. To reduce the amount of sediment released during pile foundation construction, the construction units shall properly arrange the number and location of construction ships and mitigate the movement and radius of the stirring operation onto the bottom sludge during pile foundation operations. ② Measures to prevent oily sewage and domestic sewage of the construction ships from polluting the water environment: According to the ship management regulations, construction ships must be equipped with oily sewage treatment facilities, and their blowdown equipment must be sealed by the maritime authorities in advance. Generally, construction ships shall not discharge oily sewage directly into the seawater. If a construction ship cannot handle the oil sewage, it should transfer the sewage to a sewage receiving ship of a qualified entity for unified treatment according to the regulations of the maritime authorities. ③ Measures to prevent pollution of water environment by construction wastewater and domestic sewage: A. Oily sewage from construction machinery shall be treated by grease trap or oily sewage treatment station and discharged into municipal sewage network after reaching the standard, and finally into Shekou sewage treatment plant; B. Domestic sewage of construction personnel shall be treated by the installed septic tank and discharged into the Shekou sewage treatment plant via municipal sewage network and discharged to the environment after reaching the standard.
(2) Air environment protection measures during the construction phase: ① Regularly clean the construction site, and take necessary measures such as water spraying to control the fugitive dust. Dust-prone materials should be stored in the warehouse and covered with a tarp; ② Keep the construction site road as neat and smooth as possible. Transport vehicles should be firmly sealed, and materials should not be overfilled to prevent spillage during the transfer.
(3) Noise mitigation and control measures during the construction phase: ① During construction, construction machinery with low noise level should be given preference during the selection; ② During the operation, the management, maintenance and repair of construction machinery should be strengthened to keep them in good operating condition; ③ The construction schedule and operating hours should be reasonably arranged, and the operating hours of noisy equipment should be restricted accordingly.
(4) Solid waste pollution prevention measures: Domestic waste generated during construction should be received by the sanitation authorities and sent to the municipal waste treatment plant for treatment; part of the construction wastes can be recycled, and the remaining part should be properly transported to the disposal landfill site designated by the relevant authorities for proper disposal.
(5) Ecological protection measures: ① The schedule of the construction of the pile foundations should be staggered to avoid the breeding season of the major fishes. In other words, the construction shall be arranged at a time when the aquatic and fishery industries are impacted the least; ② During the construction phase and after the completion of the project, follow-up actions shall be performed to assess the ecological environment in the vicinity of the project. Operation phase: (1) Wastewater treatment measures: The domestic sewage of jetty employees should be treated by septic tank and discharged into the wastewater treatment station in the port area and discharged after reaching the standard. Lead seal measures shall be performed in advance by maritime authorities for the blowdown equipment of ships that sail during the operation phase. The oily sewage of the ship should be regularly discharged to the onshore or offshore mobile receiving facilities. Generally, arriving ships at the harbor shall not discharge oily sewage or domestic sewage directly into the seawater. Instead, according to the regulations of maritime authorities, they shall be transferred to and collected by qualified entities, and then shipped to outside facilities for treatment. (2) Exhaust gas treatment measures: The air pollution prevention and control measures of this project mainly include the following: ① Set up hydraulic flushing facilities at the operation sites at the jetty as well as the transfer locations for loading & unloading. During the unloading process, the drop should be minimized to reduce the adverse impact of dust on the surrounding environment. ② The roads in the port area are sprinkled with water by sprinklers regularly. (3) Noise pollution prevention measures: ① Select machinery and equipment with good performance and low noise level as well as mobile machinery vehicles. ② Install mufflers or sound insulation panels for mechanical equipment, mobile vehicles and sound sources of the ship that generate loud noises. ③ Limit the speed of vehicles and prohibit honking in the port area. (4) Solid waste pollution prevention and control measures: After the completion of this project, the office, domestic wastes, and wastes generated by the crew of the ship will be transferred to the environmental sanitation authorities for timely removal and centralized disposal. (5) Risk prevention measures: The environmental risk factors of this project are mainly oil leakage. Since the facilities of this project mainly provide berths for working vessels, the probability of risk is much less than that of oil jetties. Under normal production conditions, the possibility of fuel oil leakage caused by ship collisions is extremely low. In addition, environmental risk prevention measures and emergency plans are proposed in this report based on the environmental risks that may occur during the operation phase of the project. In summary, impacts during the operation phase of the project can be effectively controlled by actively implementing the environmental risk prevention measures and emergency response plans proposed in this report and by performing timely reporting to Shenzhen Marine Search and Rescue Sub-center for timely mitigation if an oil spill accident occurs. As a result, the environmental risk accident during the operation phase of the project can be controlled at an acceptable level.
IV. Key points of the environmental impact assessment conclusion proposed in the environmental impact statement: This is a jetty upgrade and reconstruction project, and its construction complies with the development requirements in the industrial policy of the State as well as of Guangdong Province and is also in line with the relevant planning of Guangdong Province, Shenzhen City and. The completion of this project will provide a favorable guarantee for the long-term sustainable development of the logistics business of Shenzhen Chiwan Petroleum Supply Base and accelerate the exploitation of oil and gas resources in the South China Sea. This project will not only generate economic benefits and good environmental returns but also have a tremendous positive significance to the development of oil and gas energy in China. This project meets the requirements of cleaner production. And after effective pollution control measures are taken, only minor impacts can be made on the local environmental elements during the construction phase and operation phase. The construction of the project is feasible from the perspective of environmental protection if the construction unit provides strict and comprehensive supervision and management, implements the "three simultaneous" system of environmental protection and conscientiously implements the environmental protection measures proposed in this report, and faithfully prepares the contingency plan for environmental risks.
V. Methods and time limit for the accessing of environmental impact statement by the public, as well as methods and time limit for the public to request supplementary information from the construction unit or its entrusted environmental impact assessment agency when deemed necessary: (1) Methods and time limit for the accessing of environmental impact statement by the public. ① Methods for accessing: The public can visit the website of Shenzhen Chiwan Sembawang Engineering Co. Ltd., or pay a visit to the Company or Sun Yat-sen University for this information. ② Time limit for accessing: 10 working days after the notification of this announcement and the abridged environmental impact statement. (2) Methods and time limit for the public to request supplementary information from the construction unit or its entrusted environmental impact assessment agency when deemed necessary: ① Request methods: The public can either phone or send an e-mail to Shenzhen Chiwan Sembawang Engineering Co. Ltd., or the EIA entity, i.e. Sun Yat-sen University, to request this information. ② Time limit for requesting: 10 days after the notification of this announcement and the abridged environmental impact statement.
VI. Scope and major items of public comment soliciting:
(1) Scope of public comment soliciting: The residents who are potentially exposed to the impact of the project as well as various municipal government organs, groups and individuals.
(2) Major items included in the public comment soliciting: ① The current environmental conditions and major environmental issues within the project area. ② Public opinions on what kind of impacts will the construction of this project have on the environment. Public comment regarding whether the impact(s) is (are) acceptable. ③ Public comment on whether agree with the implementation of this project from the environmental perspective. ④ Suggestions about the environmental protection of the project. ⑤ Other recommendations.
VII. Specific approach for public comment soliciting: The public will fill in the form with major comments as well as their respective basis and submit the form to the relevant contact person by letter, fax or e-mail within the announcement period. Construction unit: Shenzhen Chiwan Sembawang Engineering Co., Ltd.; Contact person: Mr. Peng; Contact No.: 0755-26694327-204; E-mail address: email@example.com; EIA unit: Sun Yat-sen University; Mailing address: 135 Xingang West Road, Haizhu District, Guangzhou; Contact person: Mr. Wan; Contact No. and e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org. VIII. Time limit for raising public comment: In case of any comment(s) on environmental protection for the construction of this project, they shall submit the comment(s) to the preparation unit of environmental assessment statement or construction unit within ten working days from the date of this announcement.